Tuesday 3 May 2011

Light in a time of Darkness

I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" 
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
 In recent light of what is happening around the world, especially with the news of Osama Bin Laden's death, I found this quote by Martin Luther King, Jr particularly fitting.  It was interesting to watch the reaction of people to the news of his death, some indifferent, some diplomatic, and others joyous.  
 For me, when I watched people cheering, and posting groups on facebook that celebrated his death, it saddened me, because his death, even with the kind of life that he lived, with the things that he did, was still the death of a human life.  I feel that for some strange reason, we have come to believe that we are all seperate.  That family mainly denotes either a close relationship or blood ties, but the truth is, we are all connected.  Therefore we are all family.  There are no strangers.
 Yes Bin Laden did things that hurt others, but haven't we all? It may not be on the same scale, but who are we to judge? If we are to judge, we can only judge our own actions and how we choose to behave in any given moment.  As we all are responsible for what is happening on this planet. 
 I believe that Martin Luther King, Jr had a point when he said that we can only fight the darkness with light.  That hatred and anger will only breed more hatred and anger.  And that love and forgiveness, kindness and understanding are the way of the future... unless we want to continue to live in a world filled with war, starvation and indifference.  Yet at the same time I have hope.  I have hope because I realize that I am the key to creating a better world.  And you know what? So are you. 
Sometimes we may feel that in order for things to change, our world has to first change. But it is exactly the opposite.  In order for the world to change, we ourselves must first be willing to change.  
Peace be with you,
 Ai-Linn 

No comments:

Post a Comment